Monday 16 August 2010

Giada's Ricotta and Chocolate chip homemade ice cream

This is a recipe from my all time favourite chef Giada De Laurentiis. I tried this for a few months ago with my friends, and they liked it too, although the chocolate chips were a bit much. I think the ice cream was so silky it just melted as soon as it hit your mouth, and the chocolate chips where too big. Next time I make this, I will add grated chocolate instead, so it all melts right away. Either way, here's the recipe. I hope you all try it, do not be scared of using cheese in an ice cream. It sounds strange, but trust me, Giada knows what she is talking about. This recipes is really good.

Ricotta and Chocolate Chip Home-made Ice Cream



Recipe:

425g whole milk ricotta cheese
1 cup whole milk
1 cup simple syrup (1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar, mix together in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, allow to cool)
1/2tsp vanila extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (1/2cup grated chocolate)

(Ice cream maker)

In a medium bowl whisk the ricotta and milk until smooth. Then add the simple syrup (it has to be cooled down first). Add vanilla extract and mix well. Pour your mixture into the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions. (remember for most ice cream makers, the bowl has to be put in the freezer for 24 hours prior to making the ice cream)

Add the chocolate chips 10 minutes before you stop the ice cream maker, this is because if you add it earlier, it will sink to the bottom and you won't have it mixed properly and evenly. Anything that is left over, can be stored in the freezer. Enjoy! I know I did.

No comments: