Monday 16 August 2010

Mama's Chicken and Rice



I haven't posted anything over the weekend mainly because I was busy with the family and I had a dinner get together with friends for Iftar. It was a lovely evening, with good food and laughter. I hope to be doing it again soon. Here is the recipe for the chicken I made. I hope you guys like it. It is my mum's recipe (hence the name), whenever I go visit my family, she makes me this chicken.



Recipe:


1 whole chicken
1 large onion
1 large potato, or 2 medium potatoes
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vinegar
3 full tbsp pomegranate molasses 


Wash and cut the chicken into portions. Put in an ovenproof dish. Add diced potatoes and onions. 
Mix all the herbs and seasoning in a small bowl and rub into chicken pieces well. Put chicken pieces skin down. Cook in oven on 200 degrees (centigrade). After one hour, turn chicken skin up and leave for roughly 20-25 min until the chicken is cooked and skin is crispy. The juices that the chicken gives off are really good with rice. You can serve this with plain rice or the rice I have pictured it with. (recipe below) 


Mama's rice (similar to a biryani)




Rice:

1 medium onion diced
1 medium to largish potato, diced small
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cumin
4 cardamom pods or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 chicken stock cube
Handful of frozen peas

Fry onions till soft, put aside, fry potatoes till golden brown, add onions and peas, fry a minute or so, add all the spices apart from the stock cube. Fry for 30 sec, take off the heat. I use rice cooker, therefore I used the little cup provided with the rice cooker to measure my rice. I washed 4 cups (the little cup that comes with rice cooker) added it to the rice cooker, added 5 1/2 cups water (same little cup). Added the onion, potato and spice mixture. Then turned it on. As soon as the water got hot I crumbled in the stock cube, mixed well and let the rice cooker do all the work. (1 rice cooker cup is 3/4 of a normal cup measurement). 

No comments: